Guy Fawkes firework safety
New Zealanders celebrate Guy Fawkes Night on 5 November every year. Unfortunately around this time there is also an increase in fireworks-related callouts and injuries. If you are lighting fireworks, we have put together some tips to help you stay safe.
Lighting your fireworks
Read the fireworks’ instructions. Be careful to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using them.
Light your fireworks in a wide-open area. Keep away from anything that could catch fire Fireworks and alcohol/drugs are a dangerous combination.
Always let an adult light the fireworks.
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose handy.
- Keep all unlit fireworks in their box or bag until you are ready to light them.
- Leave dud fireworks alone. Trying to relight them is unsafe.
- If you do get burned, hold your burn under COLD running water for 20 minutes.( Seek medical advice if necessary)
- Put away the fireworks after 10:30pm.
- Keep your pets inside on Guy Fawkes Night.
- Point fireworks at the stars, not at your mates.